Friday, May 28, 2010

Au Revoir

She left.

I carried her bags to the car, serving her, always.

"I love you, Em."

"I know, Sara, I love you, too."

"Are...are you..." I started to ask.

"I don't know. Do you want me to?"

"I don't know, Em."

"I know."

"You'll call?"

"When I get there, of course."

"Later?" If we are not together, we say goodnight on the phone, every night we're apart, as we are both in bed.

"It may be late."

I looked away.

"We have a lot to catch up on," she said.

"Yes."

"Yes, I'll call you before I go to sleep, I promise."

"He tucks you in. I never forgot you saying that before."

"Sara, I...yes."

"You...you can wear something pretty," I heard myself say, "no matter what you do. I'll think of that."

"Sara," she touched my cheek. "I love you."


No comments:

Post a Comment